Saturday, January 9, 2010

Once Upon A Time...There was a Hungry Horse...

Well, there still is actually. Hungry Horse is a restaurant in Boerne, TX. Among other greats; food, service, atmosphere, prices, and sweet tea, they make a great Chicken Tortilla Soup. I was there last winter, and it was the first time I ever had a bowl of that soup. They served it with this fantastic bran muffin...yup, you heard me right, it went wonderfully with the soup too! I fell in love with this soup and went back again and again while I was in town.

If you want to try it though, you'd better travel during the winter months, because it is a seasonal item on their menu. No worries if you are there any other time of the year, you are SURE to find something yummy!

One night, while I was at my sister, Debbie's house, she made Chicken Tortilla Soup for dinner. Her version was sooooo close to the soup I had at The Hungry Horse, it was fantastic! She says that I MUST give credit for this soup to her son, Jake (he's a natural born chef ), as she learned how to make it from him. However, I forgot to get the recipe.!



~Debbie~


Fast forward....I was grocery shopping the other day, it was COLD outside, and I started thinking about that soup. I really began to NEED it, LOL. I quickly dialed my sister in TX and had her relay to me what I needed and how to put it together.

That night I ate this...

and I served it with Jalapeno and Cheddar Cheese Cornbread ~ perfect for soaking up the broth!

I also had it the next day for lunch and then again for dinner....MMMmmmmm!

Capt. Mike's opinon? Well, let's just say it's got some Texas heat that he isn't too keen on. He ate it, he even had some the second night, but he didn't enjoy the burn in the back of his throat....sorry sweet love! More for me!


For the recipe go here....do this if you'd like to try roasting chilis! It takes some time, but it is WELL worth the effort.
If you want a "quickie" version...go here! I haven't tried this one, but created it to mimic the original as closely as possible while making it much faster and easier.
Have a Spicy Day!
Kathy C.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I love having soup, but I do even like it in the summer! Glad that you were able to recreate the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy,

    Your sister looks just like you! Beautiful!

    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely have to try that! My husband LOVES soup big time!!!

    That looks delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yum! This sounds delish especially with the chilly weather we are having!

    ReplyDelete