Saturday, January 16, 2010

Craving Kettle Corn?

Well, I was! Last night we made popcorn. We don't usually eat popcorn, as a matter of fact, we didn't have any in the house, so when I was at the grocery yesterday I picked up a bottle of kernals. I've always been the "old fashioned" type and like popping my corn in a pot on the stove.


I was thinking back to when we went to the Cracker Christmas Festival in December at Fort Christmas. It's such a fun event with people dressed in historical costume and doing all sorts of demonstrations. One of the most popular booths at the festival is by far the Kettle Corn booth. As a matter of fact, the line was so long that we didn't get any Kettle Corn that day. However, we did stand right next to the tent and watch them make it in those huge Kettles...it was so cool.

So, anyhoooo, last night I decided to make popcorn, and I thought...gee, why can't I make kettle corn? So,....I did. My version at least....and it was pretty good!

In the bottom of my large heavy stock pot I put a drizzle of Olive Oil, and 1-2 Tbsp. Butter, then I added about 1/8-1/4 C. of raw (turbinado style) sugar. NOTE: I'm just tellin' you what I used, but regular sugar would be fine, I didn't measure anything because I was totally wingin' it.


I started to heat that up over med-high heat, then added 1/2 C. popcorn kernals. I put on the lid and shook the pot around over the heat.

Let's peek inside...it's gettin' steamy in there!


I let it sit for a few seconds, then swirl it around, over and over until it starts to pop...keep doing this until it is almost completely done popping, shake it up good (hold on to your lid!).  When it's just poppin every few seconds, keep shaking it, but don't set on direct heat...turn it off and look inside!



Remove the lid, sprinkle with a little salt, and Voila! Kettle Corn! It was soooooooo gooooood!

5 comments:

  1. Okay now I have got to try this. I have a stock pot that just sits there not making stock!!
    Because you know we love popcorn over here.
    Love you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I just found your blog, and saw the pics down at the bottom- that garden!!! WOW!!! I want to live at your house LOL.. your garden looks awesome! We have the same dog as you, a boxer named Rex (he's a boy).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE pop corn.

    And I only make it on a pot.

    Microwave popcorn is a serious let down for me. lol.

    And I am so glad to be back! And pop in on old & new friends. :)

    And it's true, I wish John would look at me like that all the time. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds sooo yummy....I will have to try this! We eat popcorn ALOT so thanks for this great idea. Now, I can change it up a little every now and then

    Have a blessed weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, we totally LOVE kettle corn! It is the best!!

    Now that I've read how easy the recipe is, I'll have to try it!! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete