Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday - lunches



I typically make salads, wraps, or sandwiches for my hubby's lunch, as he is unable to heat up meals at work. However, I am not a big fan of processed lunch meats. I know it is possible to buy lunch meats that do not have nitrates or nitrites in them (big baddies), but I am just not into eating meat that is chopped up pieces of meat all smooshed together and compressed into a large egg shape, then seasoned with who knows how much of what and sliced to look like "sliced breastof turkey". :)




Soooo, what I prefer to do (and yes it takes a little time, but it's worth it), is grill and slice chicken breasts myself. I marinate 2-3 breast halves in my marinade of choice. Homemade varieties are great, one of my favorites being a fajita type marinade, however for "quick and easy", I like to use Newmans Light Balsamic Vinagrette. Grill as you would for chicken.

When it is done cooking, place on a plate and cover with foil, let sit for about 5 minutes to let the juices do their thing...



Before slicing your meat, remove all the blackened bits. Yup, they are crunchy and tasty, but they are full of carcinogens, and that stuff is really bad for you. Don't even give it to your dog.




You can slice it warm and then chill it, or refrigerate and slice later. It saves me time to slice now and chill for later, but it's easier to slice when it's cold.

I don't have a fancy slicer, I just take a real nice sharp knife and slowly and thinly slice the chicken longways. This is excellent tossed on a salad with tons of veggies, or in a wrap with a light mayo and a dash of dill, or on bread with spicy mustard and mild yellow pepper rings.
YUMMO!
Happy grilling!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy! Found you at Karen M's! Will post your name as a link so people can come see your 3 pictures of ...Numbers...thats the theme this time. Go to Karen M's earlier post and you'll see the rules! Thanks for playing with us!!hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS- Those chicken breast look Wonderful!!lol...Happy night sweetie!hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy! Welcome to the photo challenge. I look forward to getting to know you and visiting your blog. Just post 2 or 3 pictures on Saturday with the theme of numbers. Then visit my site to see all of the other players and click to see their pics. It's a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete