Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cleaning House & Saving Money - Part 2 - Fabric Softener

The second household money saving tip I'm going to share is for Fabric Softener. 

I know, a lot of people don't even use it, that saves money right there.  However, I'm a fan of that sweet, light scent and the softness that Fabric Softener adds to my laundry.  I'm not a fan of the chemicals in this stuff, the material waste in packaging etc...

So, here is what I use instead.  The important thing to remember is to purchase a good natural/organic type of hair conditioner...if you use a cheap chemical laden one, you are pretty much defeating the purpose.

Homemade Fabric Softener:


WHY DO IT?

*Because this is the stuff that kinda "stays" in your clothes....touches your skin...the biggest organ you have that sucks up whatever it comes in contact with....just sayin'
*Costs slightly more than pennies per load, but still saves you money.
*You know what's in it.
*Smells good and fresh.

Note: Use a natural and/or organic conditioner.



You will need a large bowl or container to mix it in.  Some smaller containers to store it in (I use all my saved Agave Nectar containers with the flip cap tops).

Ingredients:
6 Cups Water
3 Cups White Vinegar

2 Cups (approx.) Organic/Natural non-chemical hair conditioner
**Optional  a few drops of essential oil
NOTE:  The first time I made this I used a conditioner that had a very neutral scent, so I added the lavender essential oil.  The last few times, I have used a conditioner that has a delicate scent, so no essential oils were needed.

Directions:
1.  Put water and vinegar into your container.  Add the conditioner (swish water around in the bottle to get it all out).  Whisk it all together really well. 
2.  Use a funnel to pour this into several smaller containers (mark the containers with a permanent marker so you know what this is).

To Use - Two ways to use it:

A.  Gently shake container, as contents will separate while they sit.  Use about 2-3 Tbsp. per load (eyeball it), add water to the fill line (as you would with regular softener).  This is how I use it.

OR

B.  Spray or squirt it onto a damp washcloth and toss this washcloth into the dryer with your clothes.  I have not tried this method, I have to wonder if there isn't a possibility of it putting too much softener on a piece of clothing and staining???

Go do laundry! :) 











No comments:

Post a Comment